A Mobile App to Unleash Your Imagination
UX Research, Synthesis, Prototyping, Testing
May - Jun 2020
Role: UX Designer
Strategies: UX Research, Synthesis, Prototyping, Testing
Timeline: May - Jun 2020
Tools used: Figma
Entertainment these days is just not entertainment. Almost every person who has watched any kind of Movie, TV Series or has read a book, would have got the thought. What if this had happened, instead of that?
Even you, atleast in one situation might have had a thought to change a scene or the plot in any story, but there isn't one common platform where all these What if stories can be read and published.
The Problem I thought to address was creating such a platform, where anyone with an alternate plot story can write and publish, at the same time anyone with a wish to read an alternate plot story can choose and read from a variety of ideas!
The basic idea I had at the beginning was to create an online platform(either a mobile app/website) where people can write and publish simply, and other interested people can read from there, just like a blog. But what turned up was entirely different!! ( You'll see as you progress😁)
I wanted in-depth understanding of the users Psyche, there are a lot of products with almost the same working principle, so in order to differentiate this product from others, I had to make it unique
I decided to perform both Qualitative and Quantitative Studies.
Qualitative Studies as the name suggests are used to get quality insights and information. These studies provide us a clear understanding from an individual's perspective.
For this Qualitative Study I wanted to conduct User Interviews, so I ran a Determination Survey among my friends and family to see who would fit the needs of my required Participants. You can find the Form here
After Receiving the Results from the Form, I analyzed and chose 6 people based on their answers. Then I approached them formally and had an Open Ended Interview with them. You can look at the Research Plan here
From the interviews I discovered that.
After Receiving indepth insights from individuals, I wanted to validate these with a wide audience. So I went for a Survey through Google Forms. I created a form and shared it with all my friends and asked themm to share with theirs. You can find the form here
The responses I received validated all the insights I received in the Qualitative phase and also provided me some more insights!
I was satisfied with the insights I receivedand proceeded to synthesize it.
The amount of information I got during the research phase had to be synthesised to get only what I needed(I did not know what I needed, but I just knew I didn't need everything!) I followed the standard synthesis procedure involving the following.
The insights from the research were huge for me, this being my first Study I felt this overwhelming, so I had to organize them first. I placed all the insights individually onto sticky notes, each note containing only one piece of information.
I chose the Affinity Diagramming method to organize the information. I first noted all the insights individually onto sticky notes on Miro, then constructed an Affinity Map from them.
It was organized into 3 basic sections, User Needs, User Interests, User Requirements
After the Affinity Diagramming, I started the Feature Ideation Process. The information in section of the Affinity Diagram, represented one problem, and generating a solution for the problem, gave ideas. In such a way I came up with a bunch of possible features for the platform. ( By then I had got accustomed with the idea of creating a Mobile App, so we'll converse with this context from now). You can have a look at all the Ideas I came up with😂.
Among the features generated, all of those cannot be implemented right now, some are worthy of the time and effort and some aren't and some are seem like they are useful to the users , and some actually are useful! So I got to filtering all these Ideas and made a prioritized list. I used the value complexity grid to do the prioritization.
I ended up having a set of features that I had never even had a clue of before begining the project. And thus ended the Synthesis phase.
At this point, I had a clear understanding of what I should create and what all it should have.
After testing the Low-Fidelities in the perspective of understanding the user flow, I proceeded to the High Fidelity Prototyping. A couple of sodas, 3 meals and innumerable songs later I ended up with the following High Fidelity Prototypes. You can look at the Site Map below.
After the High Fidelity Designs were finalized, I spent a couple of days testing them and iterating on KPIs, what you're looking at is the final version!
And here we are, after scrolling and scrolling and scrolling!! I don't know about you, but It was really fun and educative for me both doing the UX and Writing out this case study.
This project was my gateway to User Experience Designing and I learnt tons from this journey, especially that "You may think you know about users, but you don't!". And my Key Takeaway were that How important and Educative User Researches were! This was a dream of mine since I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! I desperately wanted Sirius and Snape to survive and Imagined a lot of stories how it would have progressed if he hadn't died! And from there sprung this thought of What Would Have Happened
Looking at what's next for this project, I think I will further work on the thought of adding the selling and buying of Ideas(metaphorically), where people can provide ideas that can be picked up by other people and worked upon, I also think applying Gamification would be nice!
Overall I had a wonderful Experience working on this project finding my creative self,especially the research part😂